Senior Pet Care
Wellness care for Senior Dogs and Cats 8 Years or Older
Eagan Pet Clinic offers comprehensive senior pet care for dogs and cats. Dogs and cats are living longer than they ever did before. Just as the health care needs of humans change as we age, the same applies to pets. As your dog or cat ages, more frequent exams and tests are needed to help detect early warning signs of disease and to monitor existing health conditions.
Our veterinarians recommend examining senior pets at least twice yearly. They may recommend senior screening tests such as bloodwork, urinalysis, chest x-rays, and/or ultrasound in order to provide your pet with the best possible heath care. If your pet is on longterm medication, our veterinarians routinely recommend bloodwork monitoring.
Symptoms common to senior pets that should be discussed with your veterinarian include:
- Perceived pain, stiffness, weakness or discomfort
- Any increase or decrease in your pet's appetite or water consumption
- Any discharge or odor from your pet's mouth
- Changes in your pet's weight or activity level
- Changes in jumping behaviors, walking, standing up or walking up/down stairs
- Changes in or loss of hearing and/or eyesight
- Significant changes in bathroom behaviors
- New or changing lumps and bumps
Please call us today for a senior pet care exam if your dog or cat is 8 years or older. We are happy to work closely with you and your pet in order to keep your senior pet as healthy and as comfortable as possible, for as long as possible.